Friday, February 4, 2011

Batman The Return: Retrospective

While the actual Batman: The Return comic was slightly disappointing, I figured I would do a retrospective on the entire series.

Overall, the plotline was very good. The Vicki Vale stuff got old about issue two, but the nice little moments between Bruce and the other members were nice. There was a whole host of problems, though.

First off, the editing was pretty crappy. In the Oracle issue, they get Batgirl's costume wrong three panels in a row and then suddenly it gets fixed. Also, Vicki Vale gets told three different stories--very inconsistent.

Second, the series was what I hoped it wouldn't be: Bruce going around and testing each of his allies. Why on earth does he have to do this again? Didn't he learn his lesson from the six other times he pulled this? I almost cheered out loud when Stephanie smacked  him across the face.

Third, although I usually greatly enjoy Fabian Niceiza's writing, this was very poor. All the issues just felt unnecessary. I really wish DC would stop these one-shots that really add nothing to the mythos. While there were moments in each issue I enjoyed, ultimately the overaching story just fell apart. Maybe a three-issue miniseries would have been better. This certainly didn't warrant 7 issues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment