Friday, August 7, 2009

Five Worst Bat-Characters, and then Jason

Before I start this post, I would like to tell anyone who lives under a rock that John Hughes is dead at age 58. He wrote some of the best movies ever, notably Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which is tied for Awesomest Movie (with The Dark Knight). Rest in peace, John.

Now then, for a not so peaceful topic: the five worst Bat-characters.

#5--Bat-mite. Why? No one can seem to write him well. He was meant to be sort of the bumbling, trying-to-be-helpful type (that right there annoys me), but has morphed into a Mr. Mxyzptlk wannabe. He only exists to be an metaphysical pest, popping up now and then to screw around when the writers don;t know where to go next. He's a useless character really, recently resurrected by our dear Mr. Morrison, and better left forgotten.

#4--Bruce Wayne, Playboy Edition. Yes, he counts as a separate character. I really wish we would see less of Playboy Bruce slipping out of parties after seeing the bat-signal through a conveniently placed window. Honestly, how many times have we seen that? Does every single comic need to include it? I'd rather have a page of mediocre dialogue between Alfred and Damian than one of Bruce making yet another bad excuse about working late. Plus, he's just so shallow.

#3--Black Glove--sorry, Grant, but I'm picking on you again. I liked the idea for RIP, I really did, but I couldn't stand the villain. For one, he wasn't really explained ever. And two, it was just too nicely done. How many times have people tried to destroy Bruce's sanity? Too many to count. so this guy just jumps in and succeeds? no. No way. Plus, when we finally see The Black Glove, he's no one interesting, just another incoherent cackling maniac.

#2--Damian Wayne. As if he even deserves to be called (or even truly has the name of) Wayne. This spoiled little brat needs a good spanking and an even better writer. So far, he's so one-sided it makes me gag. The only thing he can do is smart off and try to best Alfred. He's another character who's just there to give the other's something to talk about. I really believe he has potential, though, if only someone would come along and show that there's actually a little boy beneath that cliched, faux-badass routine.

And finally...

#1--Batwoman I hate her. I'm sorry, but I do. I had high hopes for the character when she first appeared, but unfortunately she's become just another highly-mocked parody of a person. Come on, DC, people actually have lives beyond their choice of dates. Do you really need to reiterate the fact that she's a lesbian every. other. Freakin. PANEL? Does she exist beyond that fact, or does she just go into some sort of stasis chamber whenever she isn't making out or wearing the costume? I have a sneaking suspicion that they put Kate into the comics just to say "Look! Look! We're diverse!" And there isn't anything worse than diversity for diversity's sake. It just makes it a bad joke.

Now then, to the obvious question: Why not Jason Todd?

Okay, I'm only going to say this once.

I LIKE JASON TODD.

He's just different. And, when written right, is a wild card. Both good and bad or either or none at all. He plays outside the moral code that gives a hint of predictability to the rest of the Batman family. I truly, truly believe that, if given the chance, he could be one of the greatest characters. Especially so if he isn't quite so angst, and becomes sort of an on-and-off character who may help you and may hurt you. Plus, now I really want to know what his secret is (see Battle for the Cowl #3 if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Next Up:

I'm thinking maybe a review of some of the Batman-centric Justice League Adventures and Justice League Unlimited episodes. That was a JLA cartoon on in the late nineties to early 2ooo's. It was an awesome series and had some really adult (not un-kid-friendly, but just grown-up and complex) storylines. Sometimes they portrayed Batman extremely well, sometimes they missed the mark. I think I'll do five episodes to start out. If you haven't seen the series, you need to get it from the library, a friend, where ever. I even like it better (the Batman episodes, at least) then Batman: The Animated Series, though it's not as well-known.

No comments:

Post a Comment