Wednesday, December 30, 2009

When Bruce Comes Back

To put it mildly, the Batman universe has been going through a ton of changes lately. I would recap again, but I'm sure everyone is getting sick of that. Now, its been announced that Bruce Wayne is returning to the normal DCU, and (99.9% sure about this) to the role of Batman. I am very, very pleased with this, except for one thing.

We all know that Bruce Wayne is a control freak. And Dick has gone, and, through this past year, rearranged pretty much everything having to do with the Cowl. Once Bruce returns, what's going to happen to everything that's changed this last year?

There are three possibilities (varying in probability, however) that I see:

1. Bruce returns....and swiftly dismantles everything Dick has done. The Batcave will be quickly returned to its proper place and all of the new mannerisms "Batman" has acquired will be dispensed with. The only changes that (possibly) stick are Stephanie Brown as Batgirl and Damien as Robin (again, possibly).

2. Bruce returns, resumes activites as Batman, and decides to continue acting like Dick so the public does not see yet another shift in Batman. Slowly, he reintroduces his version of Batman.

3. Bruce returns.....and that's it. He (for some unknown reason that I'm sure Grant Morrison will be able to explain) chooses not to return to the role of Batman. Maybe he assumes some sort of Oracle-ish role (although it looks like that's where Wendy's headed, so I don't know why he would), or maybe he just gets an actual life for the first time in twenty-plus years. Either way, Dick remains as Batman and the new Batman stas quo remains in effect.

Frankly, I'm hoping for the first one. I have never been Dick Grayson's biggest fan, although that's a story for another post. I really hope no one at DC pulls something screwy and suddenly Bruce decides to not be Batman.

1 comment:

Daphnia said...

Really? I've always liked Dick. Not as Batman, though. I, too, am hoping for the first option. Even though I've never really liked Damian as a character, I guess I can live with him as Robin.

You know what's wrong with Stephanie Brown? She gets to put on more costumes (to put it blandly) than any other character. I mean, she gets to be Robin, Batgirl, and Spoiler. Sure, she isn't Nightwing, Oracle, Azrael, or Batman, but I'll bet DC will allow her to be one of them sooner or later.

Even though Stephanie Brown has a larger role than some other characters, I still see her as a filler. She's important as the filler. And just to make her seem non-filler-ish, they kill her. But she can't really help the comics dead, other than the aftermath.

Steph needs to be there as a filler character in case Dick goes into hiding or something.

I haven't been reading the comics for a while, but according to you, at the moment she's Batgirl...

Post a Comment