Monday, April 19, 2010

The Love of Comics

As you can see, I have a new poll up.

So when did you become a Batman fan? For me, it was at the age of three or four when my dad showed me the 1969 film. All I remember was the "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" scene. For some reason, it stuck.

After I saw that, I hopped onto the Batman: The Animated Series train, basically during the last year or so of its run. There are some people who were older than me and saw all of that series on air and swear its the best animated DC series ever, but I didn't see it long enough to form that sort of attraction. Instead, I spent my Friday nights from 2001-06 watching or taping the "Justice League" cartoons. That's the series that I really love, although they never showed Batman enough for me.

This is probably partly because in my little third-grade mind Bruce Wayne was the coolest person who ever lived, and I spent many an hour having adventures with my new imaginary boyfriend. I added the "imaginary" part later.

As for comics, I got into those when I found the novelizations of some of the Justice League Adventures episodes. In the back cover they had an ad for the comic series, and I picked it up. Currently, I own every issue of the Justice League Unlimited series and around twenty of the Adventures one. My one regret is that the final issue, #45, has nothing special about it at all, and the only character from the Justice Lague that is shown (in the LAST issue for goodness sake!) is John Stewart.

When that series ended, I stopped reading comics for awhile and took up other, short-lived hobbies like torturing insects (yeah, don't ask).  Then, one magical day a few years ago, I stumbled across a section called "Graphic Novels" at my local library. And my reaction was: "Omygod! There's Batman comics!"

Yeah, let's call me a naive youngster.

I picked up Hush and Year One, which were probably the two best choices I could have made, and I was hooked. I discovered that there are actaully fantastical places called Comic Shops and the people who work there, other wise known as Nice People Who Don't Think I'm Crazy for Liking This Stuff. Three years, I started this blog, and am now rambling off into cyberspace.

So, any other Batman love stories out there?

1 comment:

Johnny Madrid aka Tim E. said...

I always read batman as a youngster. I really got in to it when I was 12 years old. Tim Burton's first Batman film was about to open in cinema's so that helped a lot. Then I got my hands on a copy of The Killing Joke and a few days later I saw the movie. The rest as they say is history. To date, I'm a big fan of Batman.

Post a Comment