Saturday, July 31, 2010

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Batman: Under the Red Hood came out last Tuesday, and me being the geek I am bought it on the first day and watched it.

Overall, I thought it was good but there were definitely some flaws.

First up was Joker's voice. He sounded more like Lex Luthor than the Joker, and it was obvious they were going for a Heath Ledger motif which didn't work well in animation (my friend, who feels about Joker the way I do about Batman, took particular issue with this).

Secondly, Dick Grayson's character design wasn't right. His hair was way too short and he was too buff for a lean acrobat.

The ending, while close to the one in the graphic novel, could have benefited from taking more from the original. A lot of the original punch was missing from this watered-down version.

The movie did have it's high points. The animation on the fight scenes and acrobatics was excellent, better even than some of the Justice League stuff. And Joker (however messed up they may have made him) had a fantastic scene with the Black Mask that made both me and my fellow comic nerd laugh for a good thirty seconds.

All in all, I rate this one around a 6.5/10.

Once I get a digital voice recorder (or figure out how to turn off the camera part of my webcam), me and Hanz, the fellow comic nerd, will be doing a full commentary on Under the Red Hood. This will serve as either the first or second episode of the podcast we're working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment